Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Caribbean Comfort Bowl


So I am still on a Caribbean kick… I just can’t stop making island food! This is last night’s creation that had my husband raving about how I should open up a restaurant. Haha. This recipe was so simple, and just from the things we had on hand at the house; you could say that I was happy that it was garnered as such fine cuisine! I’ll be honest; I actually had to make more shrimp after dinner, just so we could have leftovers for lunch. (It was just as good the second time!) I apologize for the simple picture, but what did you expect for such a simple recipe? K and I just love casual dining, no need for all that fancy place setting business. Without further ado, here it is:

Caribbean Comfort Bowl

Makes four servings.
Ingredients
4 c. water
1tbs. butter
Salt
1 c. white rice
Cilantro
Lime juice
Cooking oil
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 c. small shrimp, deveined and detailed
Jamaican Jerk Seasoning

Directions

  1. In a small sauce pan, add water, butter, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Add rice, a handful of torn up cilantro leaves, and 2-3 tbsp. of lime juice. Turn to low heat, cover, and leave on low heat for 15- 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat when all water has been absorbed by rice.
  2. While the rice is cooking, thaw the shrimp in a bowl of warm water.
  3.  In a small frying pan, add enough oil (I use canola) to just barely coat the bottom of the pan. Turn to medium-high heat. Add garlic and allow to simmer for one minute.
  4. Next, drain the shrimp and add them to the frying pan. Generously cover them with the Jamaican Jerk Seasoning on both sides. Now allow them to simmer for two minutes on each side. Once cooked, turn to low heat to keep warm.
  5. Divide the rice evenly into four bowls, and then add the shrimp. Now go inhale it! I eat chips and salsa with just about everything, but this doesn't need a partner to be a star! 


Here it is again, at work. Note the shrimp size difference... Like I said, I had to cook more for leftovers. I honestly don't think I  have ever done that before! I also feel like it is much healthier than a lot of things I eat on the go, like the snacks stashed in my desk. I will definitely be making this again.

Now go to your kitchen, whip this up, and then kick back. Enjoy the unparalleled comfort that comes from this combination that tastes like it came straight from the island!

No comments:

Post a Comment