Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Caribbean Cowboy Nachos


Lately I have been missing Jamaica. K and I went there for our honeymoon back in August, and I cannot stop wishing that I could go there again this summer. Since that is highly unlikely, I decided I will have to bring Jamaica to me! Here is a concoction I came up with last night, that had us both going back for refills. It combines the best of two food styles I highly admire: Mexican and Jamaican; hence the name! 

Caribbean Cowboy Nachos

Ingredients
Bottom Layer
1 can black beans
1 can green chiles
2/3 c. sour cream

Middle Layer
Vegetable oil
1 Swai fish fillet, thawed and cut into 1” pieces
1 ½ c. small shrimp, thawed (detailed and deveined)
2-3 cloves of garlic, diced
3 tbs. lemon juice
10-12 jalapeno slices, cut into quarters
Seasoning: Pepper, Lemon Pepper, Montreal Steak seasoning, Cajun seasoning, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Cumin, Paprika (I used a wide variety of seasonings to create the flavor I was looking for.  I used a dash or two of each of the following. This is the part of cooking that I call an art!)
1 whole white onion, diced

Top Layer
1-2 small handfuls of cilantro
1.5 c. cheese of your choice

Directions
1.       Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9” x 13” casserole dish or pan, set aside.
2.       In a medium bowl, combine black beans, chiles, and sour cream. Mix well and set aside.
3.       In a large skillet (medium heat,) add a few tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add the garlic, jalapenos, and lemon juice, letting simmer for a minute or two.
4.       Next, add the fish. Immediately season. When fish is cooked through, add shrimp. Season again. When shrimp turn colors, add the onion. Turn to low heat and let simmer for five minutes.
5.       Meanwhile, line the bottom of the pan with the bean mixture from earlier.
6.       When the fish and shrimp mixture is done simmering, add it to the pan.
7.       Next, add the cilantro and cheese to the pan.
8.       Place pan in the oven for five to eight minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and melted.
9.       Spoon out into bowls filled with tortilla chips, and be transported to Caribbean Cowboy heaven! 

Needless to say, there were barely enough leftovers for lunch today! 


No comments:

Post a Comment